Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

We have a ginni pig and got him a new cage and toy and he

Customer Question

We have a ginni pig and got him a new cage and toy and he was moving and playing then just stoped and there is no vet in our area
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Abot 2 and milkyway
JA: How old is Abot 2?
Customer: Well we got him 2 years ago and not sure how old he was when we got him
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abot 2?
Customer: No just new toys and cage
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is not moving or talking but heart and breathing seem fine
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and not guinea pigs and rabbits. I'm sorry to hear your guinea pig is not doing well. Some additional information will be helpful.What do mean by he just stopped? Did he fall over, lie down, freeze in place, etc.?How is he now?Will he eat?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he was out side in his cage and then we brought him in and now like 30 mins latter he is not moving not sure why we started cooking dinner and went to bring him a carrot and noticed he was just laying there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The same for like an hour and a half now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still here
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no he wont eat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. When a guinea pig stops eating, it is a medical emergency. The fact that he has 't moved for so long means he is in critical condition. Do you have a vet? Here is a directory of guinea pig vets:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

As a first aid measure, you can smear some honey or pancake syrup in his mouth. He may be hypoglycemic, and if he is, that can help.

Other than that, this is too serious for you to do anything to help at home. I hope you can quickly find a vet.

I will opt out of your question in case someone else has other ideas for you. I hope your guinea pig will be able to recover.

Anna

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What can happen if you use the wrong bedding for a ginnie pig