Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My rabbit has not been pooping and I'm very concerned. He's

Customer Question

My rabbit has not been pooping and I'm very concerned. He's been eating his hay but not his "regular" food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your rabbit?
Customer: No, not that I can think of
Category: Pet
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. When a rabbit is not producing stool it is usually a sign that the intestines are not moving ingesta through properly (gut stasis). This can be very serious in a rabbit. The majority of his diet should be hay, at least 80%. By regular food, do you mean pellets? How is he acting otherwise? Is he as active?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
pellets mixed with Timothy hay, oats and alfalfa. He seems to be acting normal. He has never been real active so he seems to still be his kind of active. Is there anything I can give him to help his intestines?

I recommend syringe feeding critical care herbivore. Is there a local veterinarian who works on rabbits? It would be worth having him checked and started on the critical care, potentially pain meds, fluids and a motility promoting drug called reglan. Is it possible he could have chewed on anything?