Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Ferret is unresponsive tried wiping honey on gums? Clyde

Customer Question

Ferret is unresponsive tried wiping honey on gums?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the ferret's name and age?
Customer: Clyde don't know how old
JA: How old is Clyde?
Customer: Really don't know probably older
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?
Customer: Idk
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have you noticed any change in Clyde's behavior?
2) Any hair loss?
3) What diet is Clyde fed?
4) How long have you had him?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has dedicated himself and has a hollow labored breathing. Was reading about insulin stuff

Insulinoma is the most common cause of an older ferret being unresponsive. The best bet is going to be finding a veterinarian that can see him promptly. Do you have a local ER that can see him? If you need help finding one, post back with your city, state and zip code.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the quality of life and chances he will in fact pull thru. My normal vet has severe lupus. I am not supposed to putting him down if that's in fact what needs to be done. I fed Walmart food until reading about better and raw diets, however have switched back to 20 marshalls. ..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I assumed the thinning of hair was due to summer as it has been very hot and they remained caged by up to 4 hours more a day than usual when I took another part time job.

Studies suggest that the higher carbohydrate foods predispose ferrets to insulinomas and a diet change may be required in the near future if he is to pull through.

The biggest concern right now is that his blood sugar be regulated and blood work run to determine if this is, indeed, the cause. Without regulation of his blood sugar, he can die. And this often requires more than than just oral supplementation. Their glucose is often so low that they need IV therapy to bring it back into a normal range. Surgical and medical approaches are an option and it typically gives a ferret a few months to a few years of life. If he's already aged, euthanasia may be a consideration as surgery and medical approaches (including hospitalization for this episode) will be quite costly. As well, if he's losing hair there may be concern with his adrenal glands, too.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion?