Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have a Guinea pig and me and my boyfriend just noticed

Customer Question

I have a Guinea pig and me and my boyfriend just noticed that she's starting to hop when walking when we let her out of her cage. It's just her back feet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: We can't see any, she still doesn't like lap time so checking her is a hard.
JA: What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she'll be 2 in July next year.
JA: How old is Lucy?
Customer: She'll be 2 next year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: She got a hold of my hair yesterday and got a little bit before I could get it away from her. Could that be a cause? Because she eats and drinks normal. She gets her vitamin c, it's in her food and she gets carrots daily. At least two a day or every other day.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would love to assist you.

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me about her habitat set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Do you have any bars in the enclosure?

Type of bedding?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has a huge two story cvc cage. And it's regular bedding that's soft. She gets her food in her bowl and hay twice a day. And a vitamin c tablet about twice a week because it's in her food already. She has 3 water bottles. And she's shares everything with her sister.
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Thank-you. Bunny hopping can be a sign of low Vit C in the diet even with it in the food, it is still not enough twice a week. It could be poor absorption of the Vitamin C. A Vit A deficiency can cause soreness in the joints which makes them inflamed. Another possible cause is calcium deficiency or lack of Vit D3 for the absorption of calcium can cause joint problems.

Unfortunately, there is no at home solution without some blood work and a hands on exam to know exactly what is going on. She will need to see a Guinea Pig Savy Vet for a check up. You can find some in this list by State:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html

I wish I could give you an at home cure, but seeing the Vet is my recommendation. My goal is to give you honest and accurate information, excellent service and to earn a 5 star rating for my service. If you have any concerns about this information, please hit reply.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

I wanted to check in on your Guinea Pig today and to see if you had Lucy into the Vet and if the information supplied was helpful. Please let me know how she is doing.

Joan