Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My goldfish has been laying at the bottom of my tank for a

Customer Question

My goldfish has been laying at the bottom of my tank for a week. He still moves and tries to swim but isnt having any luck. i fed him pease without the skin hoping he was constipated but it hasnt worked. any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your goldfish. What is the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: Sharkey. almost 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sharkey?
Customer: i changed the water when this first started and that didnt help either. there is another goldfish in the tank and he is fine
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

Have you checked the water parameters in the past 24 hours? What were your nitrites, nitrates, pH, and ammonia findings?

Does he swim normally and then appear to tire? Erratically or upside down?

Was it a full water change or a partial?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is not swimming. Laying on the bottom of the tank for one week now. i did a full water change about 4 days ago. i also fed him peas for constipation. I have not had the water tested. There is another fish in the tank and he is fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

I am quite concerned about this poor lad and his prognosis is guarded if he isn't swimming at all now.

Even if the other fish is fine, this one sounds like a sensitive soul. And if he is collapsed and you did a full water change, nitrate poisoning would be high on our list of concerns (especially since one needs to wean down nitrate levels if high by doing partial changes not full). Therefore, in this case, you would be best to check the aforementioned parameters. Most aquarium shops will check these for free. So that would be ideal here and you can do partial changes (with room temperature treated water) +/- start a nitrate binder to get this level down and give him a chance. Otherwise, you may need to consider euthanizing him if he is so collapsed. You can read more on how to do so without suffering HERE.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. So if the water test comes back normal i should consider euthanizing him?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome,

If it is normal, then his prognosis is poor. You could try blind treating with antibiotics on the off chance he is septic but otherwise we would need to consider doing so.

Please take care,

Dr. B.