Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior

My 17 1/2 yo Siamese has a terrible rattle when only when he

Customer Question

Hi my 17 1/2 yo Siamese has a terrible rattle when only when he purrs. He has a history of allergies, wheezing (not rattle), and 9 months ago dx with hyperthyroidism. He seems to be distressed when the rattle happens, mouth opens. This rattle only happens when I love on him and it's not associated with pain. Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry. Siamese Cat. He lost a lot of weight before he was dx with hyperthroidism.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes the rattle with his purr when I love on him.
JA: What is the Siamese cat's name?
Customer: Dude
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dude?
Customer: No I put Dudes Hx in all the text. Thank you Pearl.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question about Dude, tonight. I'm reviewing your question, now.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

When did you first notice this rattle when he purrs?

Is he on medication for the hyperthyroidism? If so, which one and what is his dosage?

Has he gained weight since he started the medication?

Has he been on medications due to his allergies and previous wheezing?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

What color are his gums? If normally pink, are they light pink, or paler, like white-ish?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rattle started about 1 month ago.Hyperthroidism meds Methimazole Transdermal 5mg/2 2 Rotations. He is suppose to take 2 doses a day but typically he usually only takes 1 dose a day. His last blood test showed Dudes TSH was 5.5.Yes he has gained back 4 1/2 pounds.He has been on Prednisone 5 mg for most of his life for allergies and asthma.Everything is normal!Gums normal pink! Bite is good too��Missi
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again, and thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

If he was prescribed 2 doses of Methimazole a day, why does he only take 1 dose a day? Do you find it difficult to rub the Transdermal Methimazole into the inside/top of his ear? Was he getting an irritation in that area?

The rattle may be due to an enlarged thyroid or a tumor on the thyroid gland, which is pressing on his windpipe. He would be mouth-breathing, if he's not taking in enough oxygen. The rattle you hear might also be related to a heart problem, so I would advise having Dude seen in person and this symptom evaluated. He should also have a thyroid panel and routine senior blood test to check his levels.

Hyperthyroidism can affect many organs in the body, including the heart, lungs and kidneys, so this is why it must be monitored, especially due to the rattle and the fact that he's really only getting 1/2 of his prescribed dosage of medication.

I hope all will be well with Dude and please let me know how things are going and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dudes last panel was a 1 1/12 month ago. TSH was 5.5 norm is 5.0.Dude does not like have the medicine put in one ear most days. It gets irritated easily.Dude is 3 ft long and 13 pounds. When he doesn't want to do something he doesn't.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again, Missi and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Yes, 5.5 TSH is slightly elevated, but that could be because he's not getting his full dose of Methimazole. I'm sorry he gets an irritation in one ear, after the application of the transdermal medication. Try to vary the location of the application slightly, and maybe this will help.

It might be possible to give him the Methimazole in pill form, if you hide it in a soft treat (Pill Pockets by Greenies or a high quality soft treat from the vet's office or pet supply store) or plain, jarred baby food chicken containing NO onions or garlic. Beechnut Stage 1 Chicken is a good one. You can finely crush the small tablet with the back of a metal spoon and then mix it into a small amount of the baby food. The powdered pill practically 'melts' into the food. You can finger feed him the food or offer it in a small bowl. After he eats it, you can add more, plain baby food.

Even though his levels were checked 1½ months ago, due to the rattling you're now hearing when he purrs, he should be checked in person by his vet, asap, to get a definite diagnosis and then, treatment, if needed.

I hope Dude will be fine!

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again, Missi.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Dude is coming along and if you found my answer helpful.

I hope all is well!

Warmest regards,