Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East

My rabbit is breathing shallow. Her nose has some crusted

Customer Question

My rabbit is breathing shallow. Her nose has some crusted blood on it. It appears that she has eaten and drank and passed stool since yesterday. She's very lethargic. Where as, she's a rescue, she will usually lunge at you if you open her house from the top. She's not showing any sign of aggression, which would be unusual.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if breathing will be able to digest that. How old is breathing?
Customer: My veterinarian is not in today. No one can see her.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about breathing?
Customer: Slow shallow gasps. She was perfectly fine and running around yesterday.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try to help you with your bunny. It sounds like she is not feeling well at all. Upper respiratory infections are pretty common in bunnies, but dental problems can also cause these symptoms. How old is she? What kind of bedding do you use? What does her diet consist of?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is a 5 year old mini Rex. We use pine bedding, we always have. She gets Timothy hay rabbit pellets, Timothy hay, and some veggies for treats. I've had her for 3 years. She's a rescue. She was formerly in a situation where the owners thought it was funny to terrorize her with a large snake on a regular basis. She's always been a nervous rabbit as a result.

Sounds like you are doing a good job then! Unfortunately, it does sound like she has an upper respiratory infection. Is there a veterinarian near you that sees bunnies? It would be best for her to be on an antibiotic called Baytril. Bunnies can get very sick very quickly.

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My rabbit died.
Oh no I'm so very sorry to hear this! My thoughts are with you.Dr. Snow