Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

My Guinea pig is making weird noises as if he's coughing or

Customer Question

My Guinea pig is making weird noises as if he's coughing or chocking on something. His ears are also really warm than normal. But he acts completely the same
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I see your answer? Can you answer faster I'm worried. This money things aid pay IF satisfied and I'm not satisfied
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with your guinea pig. Please give me a moment to type a response.

It is good news that your piggy is acting the same. How old is he and how long have you had him? There are multiple different things that can cause those types of noises. It may be completely normal. Here is a good overview:

1 The "chutts" or “clucks” are brief sounds occurring singly or in pairs, and are emitted during general activity and exploration. They appear to inform another guinea pig of the location and arousal level of the sender.
2 The "chutter" or “tutt-tutt-tutt” occurs in long bouts with an audibly rising and falling frequency. The “whine” or “wheet” often follows the chutter. Guinea pigs emit these sounds in situations of flight, discomfort, or evasion and induce silence and immobility when heard by other guinea pigs.
3 The "tweet" or “whee-wheet” is a call occurring in multiples with a rising frequency. The young emit this call when the mother grooms their anogenital regions.
4 The "whistle" or high-intensity “wheet” is a two-part call; whistles occur singly or in long bouts. "Low whistles" may precede the "whistle" or they may occur alone. Owners most frequently encounter these calls when providing food.
5 The "purr" is a burst of noise, with as many as 50 bursts per bout. This is the purring call associated with mating behavior and filial behavior. It occurs when a guinea pig allows or seeks contact. Aroused adult males usually produce it to show sexual capacity. Females only make this sound when kept together without males.
6 The "drr" is a short purr composed of brief bursts of noise. Guinea pigs make drr's usually in response to environmental change, especially sudden sounds, and seem to function as warning signals.
7 The "scream" is comparable to a whistle without the low range and occurs in bouts with very brief intervals between sounds. The cornered participant in a fight typically emits it.
8 The protest "squeal" (strong) or “squeak” (mild) is emitted singly and lacks the ascending pitch of the scream. Guinea pigs emit squeals in response to injury, when handled or groomed by a dominant.
9 The "chirp" is believed to be a low intensity distress call or perhaps a warning. It is not specific for an eliciting stimulus and the context in which it is emitted best defines its function.
10 Dominant animals emit the “grunt” when interacting with subordinates or before attack. It appears to signify an intention to attack.
11 "Tooth chattering" is a response to a threat or overt conflict. Chattering animals are often aggressive and generally confronted with an unknown animal of the same species. It appears to signal readiness to attack by the sender.

Please let me know how I can help further.

Dr. Snow

Hi Lauren,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow