Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Pain in upper front leg and walks with a limp and dragging

Customer Question

Pain in upper front leg and walks with a limp and dragging paw.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any injuries in her lifetime?
2) Any swelling?
3) When and how does she act painful?
4) Is it only one limb that's affected?
5) Has she been examined for this?
6) Does she seem able to use the leg to hold it up or is the limb like dead weight and just being drug all the time?

Robert, I am unable to make a phone call at this time. Can we continue talking online instead?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has not been examined by a vet. Her pain is located around the shoulder area. She will not let me lift her up in my car. She cry's when I try.

Do you notice any swelling?

Does she seem able to use the leg to hold it up or is the limb like dead weight and just being drug all the time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She does put weight on it but not much she drags her paw.

There are a few concerns to address here:

1) She may have injured the limb or shoulder
2) She has a type of cancer that affects the bone

If she has not improved with time, this is unlikely to be an injury issue. Most dogs who injure their limbs will begin to improve within 24-48 hours.

That being said, Great Danes and Collies are both notorious for acquiring an affliction known as osteosarcoma. The dogs who have this affliction typically are quite painful, will try to avoid using the limb and sometimes have notable swelling.

Because there is a substantial risk of her having a major issues with this limb, I would recommend an exam by your vet and possibly some x-rays, as well, to determine what is going on beneath the skin.

More info here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_multi_osteosarcoma

Please let me know if I can help you further.