Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate 1 mg of Chantix, Sulu, he's 4. Large Pit / Lab

Customer Question

My dog ate 1 mg of Chantix
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sulu, he's 4. Large Pit Bull / Lab mix around 75ish lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sulu?
Customer: He just vomited when I took him out, had to have eaten it within the last 2 hours. I have not checked the vomit for pills yet (can't find gloves) it was 1 mg pill
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following, you can then expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

1. How is Sulu other than the vomiting, any other symptoms { No matter how minor } ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.He looks a bit shaky but I can't tell if that's from the pill or if he's acting guilty from eating stuff off my bartop.
Does seem a bit lethargic as well.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just checked on him again, and he definitely doesn't look right. He was leaning to the left while sitting on the kitchen floor and kind of stumbled. He's listing to one side.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He ate right before the two hour period occurred where he would have eaten the pill.

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Chantix is the trade name for Varenicline which is a nicotinic receptor partial agonist. If a dog swallows this sort of drug then you might expect to see the same types of problems we would see if the dog consumed cigarettes. And unfortunately Nicotine is known to be very toxic to dogs so this is potentially a serious situation so you have to act.

2. Giving the fact that you are already seeing adverse side effects you would be best to take Sulu to an ER vet without delay. Treatment could include IV fluids, IV valium , and activated charcoal and sucralfate by mouth. The object being to flush any absorbed toxin from his system and prevent any more absorption from the intestinal tract.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sulu is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his Chantix ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.