Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Had Russian style hamster for 6 weeks. Eatting etc but seems

Customer Question

Had Russian style hamster for 6 weeks. Eatting etc but seems to be loosing hair on bum Has a varied diet and otherwise happy????
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you please share a photo of what you're seeing? Is this hair loss over the rump or each side/thigh of the hamster?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
computer illiterate so no photo but hair loss is mainly on the thighs

Are you seeing any discolored skin in this area?

What gender is the hamster?

How long have you owned the hamster?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Small black & white patch hamster, like a Russian but not, male, very lively and seemsOK but for the loss of fur on rump. Can not see any mites, doesn't scratch a lot, skin is pinkish, had him 4 months

It's never a bad idea to have a pet examined when they have hair loss. We have to worry about underlying causes like mites that could potentially be causing this. One thing that is very common in hamsters, on the other hand, are the rubbing of scent glands when they reach maturity. There is one located on each side of the body. Some males become so interested in making sure their presence is known that they overstimulate the glands and they cause hair loss. When this happens, essentially the 2nd of of the hamster goes bald. Here's an example: https://commons.wikivet.net/images/7/7f/Manson_SM_12.jpg

Because I cannot see what you're seeing at home, I would err on the side of caution and have your hamster examined so that the veterinarian can be sure of what is causing the hair loss. If you need help finding a veterinarian that can see your hamster, please post back your city, state and zip code and I'll work on finding a location near you that sees hamsters.

Let me know if I can help further.