Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

My ferret has chronic gastric ulcer issues and is 4 years

Customer Question

Hi my ferret has chronic gastric ulcer issues and is 4 years old. He's stopped eating dry kibble only carnivore care mixed w duck soup. Every time I take him to the vet we get a regimen of Pepcid, amoxicillin and sucralfate...but after 2 weeks of meds and another 3 weeks since he still won't touch the kibble. I don't know if I should continue Pepcid or can I give him pepto bismol?? I've heard different things about pepto and what it contains that's bad for ferrets. I'm really at a loss. He's still active though and pooping somewhat normal w the occasional tarry beginning to his stool. I don't know what else to do this time to get him over this hump again
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What kibble has he been fed in the past and what kibble are you offering now?
2) What symptoms do you see with the gastric ulcers?
3) I assume he's otherwise back to normal aside from the occasional tarry stool, is that correct?
4) How often has this happened?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He eats marshalls premium dry. He sometimes grinds his teeth but mostly it's the slow decline in appetite for kibble that's most noticeable and if/when he becomes super lethargic then I would take him to the vet. He's had the meds 3 times this year, twice last all started almost 2 years ago when we moved to a new house. He also has an enlarged spleen but had a biopsy and it came back normal. And they checked his teeth back in July when he got his last dose of meds. Everything is back to normal behavior wise and as you noted w the stool but just won't touch his kibble or any other dry food I've tried like wysong or other Marshall diets

The Wysong is a much better diet than Marshall's, in my professional opinion.

Have you considered using a limited ingredient raw diet for him or trying a different kibble?

It's not altogether uncommon for animals to feel uneasy about switching back to a food that they've been on when previously feeling unwell. If you've had this happen 3 times this year, I think its fair to say that looking at some diet changes might be wise.

To answer your question about pepto, pepcid tends to do a better job for ferrets. I would not give this to Dozer unless directed by your Veterinarian. Pepto bismol is Bismuth subsalicylate, which contains salicylate which is closely related to acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) which can be toxic to ferrets. To err on the side of caution, I'd avoid the pepto.