Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

I can feel her bones and she was nice and fat 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Bunny
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bunny?
Customer: Bo No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is eating and drinking but has lost half her weight in 2 weeks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should a bunnies sleeping area look like
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I paid hiw much for this service?
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Extreme weight loss is very concerning. What is the rabbits age and diet? Are you seeing normal stools?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She just ate abunch of carrots and is hopping around the house. Stools r loose

Loose stools can be very serious in rabbits. I would take her to your local veterinarian today. A rabbits diet should be 80% high quality hay, about 1 tablespoon per 2 pounds body weight of pellets and daily fresh greens. Sweets like a carrot should be a once weekly treat. They need high fiber to keep their teeth and their intestinal tract healthy. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Have a nice day.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I would like to address your rabbit's weight loss. There are many possible causes of weight loss.

The first thing I would check out is the possibility of a tooth problem. Bunnies are prone to that. If you open her mouth and look at the incisors (the front teeth) you may be able to see if they are too long. If a curl is developing, if either the top or bottom teeth extend into the gum area, or the teeth appear crooked, you have found the problem. If you see any of these things, you'll need to take your bunny to a vet to have her teeth ground or filed down. If you don't see any problems with the incisors, there may still be something wrong with the back teeth that prevents your bunny from chewing her food properly. You wouldn't be able to see that, but a vet will be able to detect such problems through an x-ray. Loose stools can be the result of a rabbit not being able to properly chew its food. Another sign of a dental problem is wetness under the chin. Pieces of undigested food may appear in the stool.

When you go to the vet, take along a sample of your rabbit's droppings in a clean plastic bag. Parasites and bacterial infections can also cause loose stools, and lead to weight loss. A fecal exam by a vet can reveal these problems.

If your bunny is elderly, the vet will also want to check for cancer, and internal organ failure. Kidney and liver problems can lead to weight loss.

Regardless of what is wrong with your bunny, such weight loss is dangerous and should be checked out by a vet. Vets who are not experienced with rabbits may misdiagnose what is wrong, or accidentally prescribe a dangerous medication. To find a rabbit vet, try this site:

Pet store and discount store personnel often recommend rabbit foods that are bad for bunnies. They don't do this on purpose - they just don't know any better. Rabbits need good-quality timothy hay (not alfalfa as it can cause health problems). I can't emphasize enough the importance of this. It's very difficult to estimate what 80% of the diet would be. Instead of trying to do that, your bunny should have all the hay she wants. Just have clean hay available to her at all times. It is the most important food in her diet. Don't feed her any rabbit food that has seeds or dried fruit in it. Fresh greens and vegetables are also important. Fruit should be a treat only. I highly recommend this site to learn about proper feeding of rabbits:

Try to make a vet appointment today. If she continues to lose weight, your rabbit will die, regardless of what is causing the problem. Only a good vet will be able to diagnose and treat this.

You also asked what the sleeping area will look like. That varies from rabbit to rabbit. Some prefer to sleep on the cage floor. Others like a box with litter , such as CareFresh, in it. Don't use cloth bedding as many rabbits will chew and swallow pieces, leading to intestinal blockages. Even a rabbit that has the run of the house should be in a cage at night. Otherwise, they may get into trouble chewing electrical cords, eating pieces of fabric or wood from furniture, etc.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope you can quickly see a vet and find out what is wrong with your bunny. I wish her a complete recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you