Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Our male guinea pig is constipated. He is eating, not

Customer Question

Our male guinea pig is constipated. He is eating, not drinking. Is there something we can do at home to get him better?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years experience raising guinea pigs and rabbits. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take.

What have you been feeding him - both basics and treats?

How old is he?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lettuce, spinach, Oxbow timothy hay, guinea pig pellet food (Nature's Harvest) and strawberry as a weekly treat -1.He was fine, has never had this issue and then all of a sudden this week, we were cleaning out his cage and noticed his eyes were crusted. I cleaned them up, changed his bedding. Gave him new hay, pellets, etc. and his eyes have not crusted since. We increased his Vitamin C drops (which he does not like), but he is not drinking as usual and not pooping for two days.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is 3 1/2
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer now, and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience, and will be back shortly.

Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for waiting.

Constipation in guinea pigs is usually caused by a lack of moisture in the diet. If the vitamin C you are giving is the kind you put in the water, I would dump it and give him plain water. It's better to give the vitamin C by syringe (into the side of the mouth, not straight down the throat) or use children's chewable tablets - about 25 mgs. Make sure he has clean, plain water available. Then, you can give him some apple with the peel. Rinse the apple before giving it to her, and leave the rinse water clinging to it. You can also put a drop or two of olive oil on the greens. A great variety of fruits and vegetables should be included in the diet. Spinach is not a good choice. It has too much calcium oxalate, which can lead to bladder stones over time. This site has great information on diet, including the best produce to feed:

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

If the above measures don't help, your guinea pig may be suffering from impaction. However, that usually results in abnormally shaped stools, rather than none at all.

This problem is located in the perineal sac, and is common in middle-aged and older guinea pigs. Even if that isn't the problem right now, you'll want to be familiar with it in case it occurs in the future.

If that's the problem, you can either take your guinea pig to a vet for treatment, or if you're not squeamish about it, you can do it yourself. If you decide to go to a vet, here is a link to a directory of vets who are familiar with guinea pigs:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

If you decide to take care of it yourself, you can best learn how through pictures. This site takes you through the process step-by-step with photos:

http://www.guinealynx.com/impaction.html

If the increased moisture and olive oil don't solve the problem, and you don't think it's impaction, you will need to see a vet. There could be a blockage of some sort. Also, if your guinea pig should stop eating, that is a medical emergency, calling for an immediate vet visit.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope your guinea pig will soon be passing normal droppings.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much - we will follow all of your advice.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
You're very welcome. I wish you success in treating this.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna