Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My rabbit ate some foam and I want to know how to get her to

Customer Question

My rabbit ate some foam and I want to know how to get her to pass it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your rabbit will be able to digest that. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Tuff. 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tuff?
Customer: No
Category: Pet
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Rabbits are notorious for eating what they shouldn't. They do not vomit, so no way to induce vomiting. The best thing you can do now is monitor appetite and bowel movements. Rabbits eat a very high fiber diet (80% hay) so that keeps their intestines moving. If the foam is small enough it may pass. If Tuff has a decreased appetite, the stills are looking smaller than normal or stop, then she needs to be evaluated immediately. Rabbits get obstructed easily and do not handle the stress well, so when you see signs it is an emergency. If you have a veterinarian locally, you should let them know what happened. They may recommend a baseline abdominal x ray. Feel free to post additional questions. Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks.Could you please tell me which food is highest in fibre? Veggies? Hay? Or willow sticks? (Is there much fibre in willow sticks, and if not, should they be taken away at this time?)And, since calcium can be constipating, should veggies that are higher in calcium be avoided right now?Would it be helpful if her stool were a bit softer than usual? Would eating a bit more of veggies that soften the stool more than usual be good to push the foam through right now? Such as kale? Or is gas and softer stool something that should be avoided at all times, including this rare circumstance? Does regular stool or does softer stool push indigestibles along better? Or does the softness of the stool make no difference? (Oh, and just to be clear, when I say "softer stool" I do not mean liquidy stool or diarrhea).Thanks again.

Hay is the best food choice for rabbits. It should be the majority of their diet, with small amounts of pellets daily and fresh greens. So, a normal, firm pelleted stool is what you want. The cecotrophs (their night stools) are normal and are typically ingested by the rabbit. You don't want to alter the diet to make a softer stool or gas, that can lead to gut stasis (lack of motility) and an emergency situation. Moderate amounts of higher calcium veggies are fine. We worry more about bladder sludge and bladder stones with high calcium intake. Take care.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please take the time to rate my response. Please feel free to ask additional questions.

Hi Frances,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill