Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

I am caring for an orphaned squirrel; I guess him to be four

Customer Question

I am caring for an orphaned squirrel; I guess him to be four weeks. I have had him for 10 days and no problems until this morning. He expressed a few small drops of blood from his penis after his feeding. I am feeding him powdered kitten milk replacer with peanut butter and water. I have also given him pedialyte. Is something wrong with the little guy? What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the squirrel's name?
Customer: Hendrix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hendrix?
Customer: No, everything else seems fine with Hendrix. The blood just appeared this morning.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small pet health. It was kind of you to take in this little squirrel.

Blood from the penis can indicate many different conditions, but a urinary tract infection is a common cause. These have to be treated with safe prescription antibiotics. You would need to see a an exotic animal vet for an exact diagnosis and treatment. It is also possible that this was a one time occurrence. You can take a wait and see approach. If it happens again, treatment is certainly necessary.

I suspect you got your information on feeding somewhere online. There is a lot of misinformation available that way. The diet you are using is not the best for Hendrix. At this age, he should be fed 5 times a day. He should eat from 1 1/2 to 3 cc. at each feeding. It is recommended to make up the formula with 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of powder puppy formula, and 1/2 cup of whipping cream. I recommend that you get some probiotics (good bacteria) for him. Bene-Bac is a brand made for small animals that is often available in pet stores. You can also use the liquid probiotics made for humans, which are available in health food stores. After several initial feeding of the above formula, you can graduate to all puppy formula. Here is a site with reputable and detailed information on care:

If it seems like more than you want to do to continue raising the baby, you could turn it over to a wildlife rehabilitator. They are trained in handling and treating wild animals. Here's a link that will help you find the nearest one:

Once an animal has healed, the rehabilitator releases it back to the wild.

There is also a Yahoo group for people who rehab squirrels or keep them as pets. You may want to join it because the experienced squirrel-keepers there will perhaps have some suggestions on all aspects of care and treatment of illnesses for you. For more information:

If you plan to keep the squirrel, you'll want to become informed about the proper diet for him after he is weaned. Many pet squirrels become malnourished and die each year because they are not properly fed. I recommend that you read about the healthy diet for squirrels described on this site:

Squirrels also need regular exposure to sunlight to stay healthy. If the squirrel won't live outdoors where it can be in the sun every day, you should get him a UVB light. These are sold in pet stores for reptiles. Full-spectrum and UVA are NOT the same thing. Make sure you get one that produces UVB rays. Without UVB, squirrels will develop bone disorders. They should also be given a good calcium supplement.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know. I hope you'll be able to successfully raise the baby.

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you

Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.
Hi. I'm just checking to see how things are going with your squirrel. Do you need any additional information?