PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My guinea pigs eyes are shut

Customer Question

My guinea pigs eyes are shut
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have any pictures to share of your GP's eyes?
2) Is it one or both?
3) Any discharge?
4) What bedding is being used in this GP's habitat?
5) Any recent changes in husbandry?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!
It started with one eye, it was a bit gunky and then it wS closed shut over a few days, I then thought he scratched it and it was healing so I didn't check it, then over the course of a week the second eye was shut. Right now they are somewhat open. I'll take a picture to send you. He has a brother which lives with him and they are both about 3 months old.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His diet is good and he remains active.

I'll stand by for the picture.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are the pics, my daughter just noticed that now the brothers eye is shut, and appears to have loose stool. They had s piece of bell pepper last night but have had it before.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you receive pucs

They just came through. Sorry for the delay.

It sounds like both of them have eye infections. I, personally, do not recommend wood chip bedding because it commonly causes eye issues in small mammals. I use and recommend the usage of recycled paper bedding because it is absorptive, lower in dust, doesn't contain toxic oils and doesn't cause near the eye and upper respiratory problems that wood chip bedding does. Care fresh is a favorite: https://www.chewy.com/carefresh-complete-small-animal/dp/122287?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=CareFresh&utm_term=&gclid=CKvu47y10M4CFQiLaQodSTcGig

I would err on the side of caution here and have the boys examined by a veterinarian and get them started on eye medication to clear the infection. In the meanwhile, try a switch of bedding products to see if this doesn't decrease their risk of eye issues.

I also want to mention that fresh fruits, veggies, grasses/hay AND a vitamin C supplement (not in the water, needs to be an oral supplement) are needed for healthy piggies. Make sure that they're both receiving this, especially the vitamin C supplement as GPs are very prone to scurvy.

If you need help finding a vet in your area, post back with your city, state and zip code.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much for the information! We'll take your advise right away.
Have a great day

You too.