Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a -Complex vitamin, 1000 mg Vitamin C and a

Customer Question

My dog ate a B-Complex vitamin, 1000 mg Vitamin C and a women's multi-vitamin. What should I do??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What is in the multivitamin? How much iron, zinc, and Vitamin D?

How long ago did she have this?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and since this is a time sensitive situation, I do want to leave my thoughts in case you are struggling to reply. First, I do want to note that the B vitamins and Vitamin C are no worry. Both are water soluble and thus she will pass any excess her body doesn’t use into her urine. It is those aforementioned components of the multivitamin we need to be wary of. Therefore, if you do find the

In this situation, we do have a few options. If she has just had this within the past 2 hours, we can choose to induce vomiting. To do so at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, most of our vitamin components will do no harm at high doses. Though do check those I asked about to make sure they are not extra high here. Else you can use the above to block absorption and limit any risk for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )