Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My son has Winter hamster. I've noticed a red (light in

Customer Question

My son has Winter White hamster. I've noticed a red (light in color, almost pinkish red) spot on his front paw. It's not bleeding, it's not swollen, and it doesn't look like a lump but has a look of a scabby surface or a wart. It doesn't seem it bother the hamster. He does his usual activities except he keeps this paw more up when standing/sitting. He is about 10 months old.
We have just returned from a 1 month travel. Hamster was taken care of by my sons friend, who has a guinea pig. The pets were kept in separate rooms. I don't know when the red spot developed, has it gotten bigger etc. I can only monitor from now on. Would you be able to give us an idea what can this be and is it dangerous, like tumor? My son would be devastated!
I would appreciate your answer.
Thank you,
***** *****
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was able to get good pictures of the paw. Hope it helps!
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is this foot swollen in comparison to the other front limb?
2) Tell me more about bedding in his habitat, as well as any wheels, hide boxes, etc. Please include information about bedding, as well.
3) Is he still eating and drinking well?