Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a dwarf hamster who is sick, Very lethargic and looks

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: I have a dwarf hamster who is sick
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the hamster?
Customer: Very lethargic and looks like it is in pain on and off will move around then stop curl into ball and look almost lifeless
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Hammy and approx 1.5 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hammy?
Customer: Bleeding some from tail wnd
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I have to say that I am very worried about Hammy.

Any blood loss in a hamster is serious and to see this with possible pain (something prey species don't show if they can help it), we likely have a traumatic injury and one that needs urgent care. Therefore, if he is looking lifeless, you can gently rub a bit of honey on his gums to increase his blood sugar and gently warm him on a heating pad (monitor closely to avoid overheating him), but we really would want a check with his local vet. They can determine how severe the internal damage is and start hamster safe pain relief +/- shock doses of fluids t give him a chance here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello how long does this take
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I am online now if you have further questions, but in case you cannot see what I posted before:

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm stuck between a rock and hard place . I want to help him but I can't afford a visit to vet. I am heartbroken but just can't
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My husband is not supportive of going to the vet and the cost it might incure. He does seem slightly better
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I am sorry to hear that he isn't willing to allow you to care properly for your pet. And if your lad is as you described, you may just need to ring your local vet about possible low cost euthanasia to prevent him from having to suffer here. Otherwise, just to note there are some low cost options that may be of use here. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s database (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Best wishes for your poor lad,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.