PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Intermittent diarrhea. They have had no dietary changes, eat

Customer Question

intermittent diarrhea. They have had no dietary changes, eat no table food, get no treats, etc. and have been on same brand of dog food from pet food store for a long time. 5 year old developed diarrhea - multiple times in 24-48 hour period, very mucousy, gassy, ends up with bright red blood toward the end, then within 24 hours she is fine again for 3-5 days until the next round. It was just the one dog, through several cycles of this over several weeks, now my 7 year old maltese mix has had 2 rounds of the same symptoms
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog food's name?
Customer: Nature's Logic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog food?
Customer: it's supposed to be all natural, they've eaten the same thing for a long time
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We do live out in the country - and there are stray cats and other animals, like raccoons, deer, etc. that do poop on our property, and periodically our dogs find it and eat it. We supervise them when they go out to use the bathroom, and the last time I know of that we saw them eat any animal feces was about 6 weeks ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure if that's related, but it's the only thing we can think of that's different. They are house dogs, and have no access to anything else.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has a fecal examination been performed since the onset of the symptoms for these two particular dogs?
2) Are you using monthly deworming or heart worm prevention? If so, what type and how often?
3) Are you seeing any vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. They haven't had a fecal exam, but our vet did just have me stop in to pick up some Panacur to try in case it's an intestinal parasite.
2. they don't use monthly deworming but use a topical heart worm prevention during summer months - I don't have a package in the house right now and can't recall the name
3. The only vomiting has been with the younger dog, and only a couple times - but it's only been on the day following the heavy diarrhea day when she hasn't felt like eating yet, and then vomits a little yellow bile when her stomach is empty. As soon as she starts eating again there's no vomiting.

I'm glad your vet has recommended panacur, which is precisely what I was going to recommend. It's possible that you are dealing with whipworms which wouldn't be covered by the monthly topical heart worm prevention. Sometimes intestinal parasites like hookworms and roundworms can be so prevalent that symptoms (like bloody stool) is witnessed despite deworming and its fairly common for one dog to present with signs and then for another to develop it down the road.

For the dog that is vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. Try to hold food for at least 2 hours following the medication so your pet doesn't feel better and then vomit food right back up. Start with small amounts and increase as time passes.

If they don't make a drastic improvement, I would go ahead and have a fecal performed to check for protozoan and parasites that Panacur doesn't treat. As well, you may want to check with the food company to be sure they haven't made any changes to their recipe lately, as that's another common reason why dogs on a stable diet might develop GI symptoms.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your girl today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?