Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My rabbit will drink but not eat. Been going on for most of

Customer Question

My rabbit will drink but not eat. Been going on for most of the day now. Her stomach is soft and she just urinated, but no poop. She is alert but just wants to stretch out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Babs, she's about 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Babs?
Customer: She had anorexia after her spay surgery 4 years ago. She had this same problem about 2 months ago, but I was able to get water into her with a syringe and some hair all remedy and that worked. It's not helping this time
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear that Babs is ill. I want to let you know I'm working on some information for you and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience, and will be back shortly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. You are dealing with a medical emergency called gastro-intestinal stasis. When a rabbit stops eating completely and/or stops passing droppings, GI stasis has developed. That is an emergency, and she must be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

In the meantime, continue to give water by syringe. Pedialyte (made for human infants and available in discount stores and pharmacies) is another good addition. Another product for human infants that I recommend is liquid simethicone. Also give it by syringe. It breaks up any gas in the stomach, making it easier to pass. There's no certain amount to give - it's nontoxic.

You can also turn your rabbit over on her back on your lap and gently massage her stomach. That, too, can sometimes get things moving.

Here's a site where you can read more about GI stasis and additional steps you can take:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

The above steps may help, or they may not. Many times, a vet can give a gut motility drug, such as metaclopramide, and that will solve the problem. If some kind of blockage is causing the problem, surgery can be needed. I've raised rabbits for many years, and I don't wait with GI stasis or pre-stasis symptoms. I've had rabbits stop eating and within three hours be dead. My first recommendation for you is to see a vet. Here is where you can find a rabbit vet:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

It's best to try to find a rabbit vet because some vets who treat mainly dogs and cats aren't familiar with rabbits' sensitivities to certain medications. Many are not even aware of the condition (GI stasis) and do not know how to treat it.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Babs will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna