Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

I have had a goldfish for about 7 years now, and today I

Customer Question

Hi, I have had a goldfish for about 7 years now, and today I noticed that it is crooked and not swimming around very much. I do not think it is eating either. I have been doing some research, and I think it may have swim bladder disorder?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goldfish's name?
Customer: Sunny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunny?
Customer: not really
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a fish keeper over 40 years.

Size of the tank?

Is the fish alone?

Do you see any abdominal bloating?

Have you checked the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph?

What type of test kit do you use?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a small tank, I believe just 1 gallon. He is by himself in it. He doesn't look very bloated, and I have not checked any levels.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

Thank-you for the information. The recommended size for goldfish is 15 gallons of water per fish. With that being said I must recommend a bigger tank for the health of the fish.

Swim bladder is the organ that helps in maintaining a fish's ability to balance and swim in a normal position. When it becomes blocked up or too full of air it stops functioning properly.

This can be a result of water quality, over feeding dry foods or a Bacterial infection. Poor water quality can play a major issue contributing to the Swim Bladder problem. The first step to helping is to check your water quality. The Ammonia should be 0, Nitrites 0 and the Nitrates 20 ppm or less.

We can try some first aid to help the fish.

1) First do a 3/4 water change and be sure to add some de-chlorinator or use bottle Spring water for replacement.

2) Next please feed a couple of frozen peas in which the shell has been removed. You will need to be sure you crush the peas for the fish. This helps the stool to pass and will sometimes help to relieve the problem.

3) I also suggest using aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon of the salt per gallon of water. The Salt helps to draw out fluids that can cause swelling in the swim bladder disease.

There are some other methods of treating swim bladder which include reducing the amount of water in the tank which helps to decompress the swim bladder, but I would only use that as a last resort.

This link will help you locate Fish Vets if the treatment does not help:

My goal is 100% satisfaction. Please hit reply if you have further questions, so I can meet that goal and give you the best possible answer.