PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My guiunea pig has watery eyes and doesn't feel like eating,

Customer Question

my guiunea pig has watery eyes and doesn't feel like eating
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: hello?
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: my guiunea pig has watery eyes and doesn't feel like eating
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pig?
Customer: he is a male pig about 2 years old and has diaherra
JA: What is the pig's name?
Customer: Dom
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Please tell me in detail about Dom's diet including what he commonly receives as food source and any supplements.
2) What bedding is being used?
3) Are either of his eyes squinting or being rubbed?
4) How long since he last ate?
5) How long have you owned him?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1.) Oxbow food pellets. Lettuce, kale, carrots, oranges, cherries, orange pepper, broccoli and apples. All occasionally fed as snack.
- he also has bottled water with orange vitamin C drops everyday.
2) the bedding is care fresh soft paper.
3) the both look like they are squinting and there is milky stuff coming out of them. He's albino and has red eyes but the skin around is eyes are also red.
4) he didn't eat "breakfast" and is still not eating.
5) owned him for about two years.** he also has watery diaherra and seems to be sqeauling a lot more.

There are a few concerns to mention here:

The pet industry does not educate owners very well on what is a suitable diet for guinea pigs. Based on what you've included here, you're giving a wide variety of foods to him, but its not a complete diet. The first thing missing is hay, which should always be available and helps to keep their GI tract working well. A pelleted diet, no matter how 'complete' the company claims, is not a suitable replacement for hay. As well, cherries need to be fed on rare occasion as they can cause a GI upset, as well.

I also want to mention that the pet industry gives pet owners a great deal of misinformation on vitamin C. We have to be careful about how much and how it's given because GP's are quite prone to a low calcium level or "scurvy". In general, we never recommend using drops in the water. Oral supplementation is more ideal. An adult guinea pig should receive between 25 and 50mg of vitamin C each day. Without this, we can also see diarrhea begin.

The eyes themselves sound infected. You can clean them gently with a warm, moist wash cloth. I would recommend having an exam performed on them to have eye drops prescribed.

On top of the examination, I would also recommend making the changes noted above for the diet and adding in vitamin C to see if this helps with the diarrhea. Your vet may also want to take a fecal sample to determine if there are any parasites or bacterial overgrowth present that needs to be treated.

If you need help finding a vet that sees guinea pigs, reply back with your city, state and zip code.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy