PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Its a hamster, She is breathing but can barely walk, is

Customer Question

its a hamster
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the hamster?
Customer: She is breathing but can barely walk, is laying down (almost flat), won't eat and I tried to give her yogurt this morning...she took a little
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hamster. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: but i think she is dying, this has been going on all day yesterday and today and she appears to be sleeping, breathing, but won't open one eye
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the hamster?
Customer: we bought her 23 months ago, is a syrian hamster and had another hamster that died yesterday - they were in separate cages
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her name is***** feel she has been suffering for over 24 hours (since mid day yesterday)
Is there anything I can do to help her or will she just eventually die peacfully..this is so sad and I don't know what to do
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Hamsters tend to live about 2 years in captivity. If she was an adult when you purchased her, she may be at the end of her lifespan. I can give you some instructions to try at home, but chances are that she needs to be examined by a veterinarian to determine what is wrong with her. These may be age-related changes and the end of her lifespan or she very well could simply be ill.

First, try some pureed baby food for her in apple, pear, blueberry, blackberry, mango or peach flavors. You will want to place a small amount on the end of a spoon or popsicle stick to offer it to her. This should bring her blood glucose up and improve the slow movement that you're seeing in her habitat. After this, try getting her to eat some of her regular food.

If you need help finding a vet in your area that sees pocket pets, post back your city, state and zip code and I'll get to work finding a vet that can examine her. If she is close to death, it may be time to consider euthanizing her so that her passing is a calm one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried putting yogurt at the end of the spoon. She ate a little this morning, but this evening won't have any of it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I do now? Also, if shes too weak to drink...I tried using a squirter , but she won't take any of that.
Yesterday it seemed she was limping / lame on one side and that eye was shut. Could she have had a stroke????

At her age, yes, it's very possible. There are lots of medical issues that can go along with those types of symptoms including an inner ear infection, septicemia, trauma to the body, etc.

If she's refusing food now even by syringe, you've done what you can do at home. She need professional medical help to either determine the cause of her symptoms or help her to a peaceful passing.