PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My hamster does not look good. Barely eating and walking

Customer Question

My hamster does not look good. Barely eating and walking slow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I checked her and nothing. I did notice the hair on hair back it seems like she is losing it
JA: What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: Thumper is her name and we bought her in 2015 she is a fancy bear hamster
JA: How old is Thumper?
Customer: I believe a year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Thumper?
Customer: She is barely eating. I changed her bedding like always and it still alittle smelly
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Teddy bear hamsters tend to live about 2 years in captivity. If she was an adult when you purchased her, she may be at the end of her lifespan. I can give you some instructions to try at home, but chances are that she needs to be examined by a veterinarian to determine what is wrong with her. These may be age-related changes and the end of her lifespan or she very well could simply be ill.

First, try some pureed baby food for Thumper in apple, pear, blueberry, blackberry, mango or peach flavors. You will want to place a small amount on the end of a spoon or popsicle stick to offer it to her. This should bring her blood glucose up and improve the slow movement that you're seeing in her habitat. After this, try getting her to eat some of her regular food.

If you need help finding a vet in your area that sees pocket pets, post back your city, state and zip code and I'll get to work finding a vet that can examine Thumper.