Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My rabbit sounds gurgly and wheezy but has no nasal

Customer Question

My rabbit sounds gurgly and wheezy but has no nasal discharge and his eyes look okay he seems lethargic and wants to hide. He is normally really happy and hops around the house.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: he is a male rabbit
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the rabbit?
Customer: he sounds gurgly like a deep rumbling sound when he breaths he looks like he is breathing hard
JA: What is the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: choppy and he is about one year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about choppy?
Customer: no he is normally happy healthy, lives outside during the day in a hutch with a run and comes in at night to a kennel, he also hops around the house when I am home
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I'm sorry to hear that Choppy is ill.The respiratory system is subject to more than one kind of infection. An upper respiratory infection is in the nasal passages, and results in discharge, sneezing, runny eyes, etc. a lower respiratory infection is in the lungs symptoms include labored breathing, sound from the lungs, and sometimes coughing. Pneumonia is most common, but there are also fungal infections. Both upper and lower respiratory infections produce lethargy.There are other possibilities to explain Choppy's symptoms, but they are less common. Lung tumors, severe allergies, and rarely, asthma can occur in rabbits.All of these conditions are serious, and must be treated as soon as possible. Prescription antibiotics are needed to treat pneumonia. Special antifungals are needed for fungal lung infections. I recommend that Choppy be seen by a rabbit savvy vet as soon as possible. I know you were hoping for a home remedy, and I would live to give you one, but I believe you deserve honesty. There is no home treatment for this situation. If you don't already have a vet who treats rabbits, give me your location and I'll help find one. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Choppy will reach a full recovery.Anna