Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist

He is bleeding from s penis not all the time and not a lot

Customer Question

He is bleeding from his penis not all the time and not a lot just concerned
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Bassett Hound he is about 10 years old does age have any thing to do with this problem
JA: OK. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Lil Man
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lil?
Customer: No
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Bleeding from the penis could indicate an injury to the penis, a prostrate problem, blood in the urine or be a sign that there is a female in heat around.

Blood in the urine can signal a few different things such as a Urinary tract infection, kidney problem or an injury. However, it is not unusual for an intact male dog to shed a few drops of blood from his penis when he is aware of females in heat. So if the bleeding is just a few drops, then you do not need to worry about it. If it is a larger amount or your dog is neutered, you will want to have your dog examined by your vet.

Read more on prostate problems in dogs here:

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?