Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Our 1 year old intact female lion head just passed what

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Our 1 year old intact female lion head just passed what appears to be a blood clot today.
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. What is the lion's name?
Customer: Snowflake, she is a REW and very sweet & supposed to be my daughters rabbit for fair so we are a little nervous
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about REW?
Customer: she has had 1 litter of kits before we purchased her
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising and showing rabbits. I've also been a 4-H leader and volunteer. I'm sorry to hear Snowflake is having a problem. Some additional information will be useful.Was the blood clot in her urine or in her droppings?Does she seem to be having any trouble urinating or defecating?Is she eating normally?Does she have her normal energy level?Is there any possibility she could be pregnant?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It looks like the clot was possibly in her urine. She is eating & drinking very well and seems like she is in good spirits. We did attempt to breed her but that was 2 months ago & our buck wasnt quiet able to accomplish the task as far as we could tell.
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience, and will be back shortly.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry cant call
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

That's fine. Actually, I'm not even set up for phone calls. That notice you got about a call is something computer generated from JustAnswer. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. Passage of a blood clot often indicates something serious. It can be from the urinary tract, or it can be from the reproductive system. If there is blood in the uterus, it pools in the vagina. when the rabbit urinates, the muscles put pressure on the vagina, pushing the blood out with the urine. This is often like a small puddle within the urine, or a clot.

Depending on exactly where it's coming from, several different conditions could be causing it. Uterine infections and tumors are not uncommon. Both can cause bleeding. Blood in the urine can indicate a urinary tract infection, bladder stones, or kidney disease. There are no home remedies, and no first aid measures that will help. Snowflake is going to need to be seen by a vet. This site has a directory of rabbit vets:

If you would like to read a complete, scientific discussion of this problem, I'll give you a good website:

You might want to read it before your vet visit. It would be best to see a rabbit specialist. Often, vets who treat mostly dogs and cats are not familiar with rabbit's health conditions and sensitivities to certain medications.The treatment the vet will provide will depend on what he/she finds. Some infections can be treated with antibiotics. Some reproductive problems can only be cured by spaying.

It's too bad this had to happen close to fair. You'll have to decide if Snowflake should be shown or not. This is not likely to be anything contagious, but the stress could be hard on her when something is already wrong.

If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Snowflake will be able to reacha full recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your input! I Appreciate your time
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome!