Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

He has not eaten in the last day, and will only take water

Customer Question

He has not eaten in the last day, and will only take water when given through a straw.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Guinea pig
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the guinea pig will be able to digest that. What is the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: And his eye has a white drainage coming from his eye, and he's scratching at it now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the guinea pig?
Customer: Gizmoe and he's 9 months
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His stomach seems to hurting him too.
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Has Gizmoe passed any stool?

Is he passing urine?

Is the stomach distended ?

Any moisture around the mouth?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hasn't used the bathroom like he usually does, no supplements, no moisture around mouth.
What does distended mean??
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Distended means bloated or puffed out.

What type of diet are you feeding? Pellets, hay, fresh veggies?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His stomach doesn't seem to be puffy? Water fresh carrots, Hartz Bonanza Guinea pig food diet vitamin fortified.
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Guinea pigs need a good quality food and Hartz is on the bottom of the list. They also need all the Garss Timothy hay they can eat. This is very important as it is a fiber food and helps the stomach. This is a list of the best pellets: Cavy Cuisne, Kaytee Perfect Choice Guinea pig, Oxbow and Mazuri. The pellets should contain Vitamin C since Guinea Pigs cannot manufacture that in their bodies. To help Gizmoe, please gind the pellets and mix with a 50/50 Pedialyte and water mixture and syringe feed. You can so this by forming a pocket at the side of the mouth pulling the cheek out and inserting the syringe between the cheek and teeth. They need to have food and fluid going in. You can also syringe the 50/50 pedialyte and water for fluids. Make sure to get some hay asap.

Some of the reasons a guinea pig goes off food is do to the teeth a malocclusion or a URI,, there may also be stomach pain, but he does need a hands on exam as soon as possible by a Vet. The emergency feeding is only a first aid measure to keep him going.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I get the hay?
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Most stores that sell the pellets have the Hay all pet shops carry it. The important thing right now is Gizmoe is seen by a Vet. He is in a GI stasis which mean he is not eating and Passing stool. The Vet may have to give a gut motility medication to get his stomach working. He needs to be seen asap.

When I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

How is Gizmoe doing?

Expert:  Joan replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?