Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

Sugar Glider information on owning one what to expect.

Customer Question

Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in small pet health and care. congratulations on your new companion!

With a youngster, your first task will be to tame her and bond with her. This needs to be done slowly.Biting and noises are. often part of the bonding process. The noise is normal for animals that are stressed out by being in a new place with unfamiliar people. Once they adjust, the noise should decrease.The following site goes into taming and biting in much more detail than I can do here. I recommend that you take a look at it.

Diet is a very important part of maintaining health. I regularly hear from people whose gliders are sick from an inadequate diet. Reputable sugar glider breeders either use live insects or high-protein foods such as monkey biscuits as the staple food. A calcium supplement should be used. Fruits and vegetables are also important. Here are three websites where you can read more about diet:

As your baby grows, you'll want to be sure she is progressing normally. This website gives statistics on average weight for all the various growth stages from birth on. Just scroll down the page for each growth stage:

After you complete the bonding process, you can expect a cuddly friend who wants nothing more than to be with you. If you have more questions, just let me know. I wish you many years with your new friend.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hi Barbara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sugar Glider Some Call Sugar Bear. How is everything going?