Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate

I have 2 guinea piggies and they are both females at a

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2 guinea piggies and they are both females at a little over 5 years old. I just went to go feed them and noticed that there was what looked like some blood spots on the carefresh (easy to see since that is white) and I was not sure which one it was coming from. I did find out though, as she was in her bed and when she moved I could see fresh glossy poopie right under her. I picked her up and put her on a paper towel where it was pretty obvious. Only I could not tell where exactly it was coming from. She is otherwise very healthy. They eat great, squeak, purr and she looks ok. I do take them to the vet for wellness checks and nail clippings. I have seen a little of this before in their cage, but at that time, was impossible to find out who the culprit was. I did give them a piece of strawberry this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea's name and age?
Customer: Pancake, age 5 or 6
JA: How old is Pancake?
Customer: she is about 5 or 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pancake?
Customer: no-
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Determining who is having this bloody spotting is just as important as finding out where it's coming from.

Guinea pigs are known to cause small injuries to themselves. I would recommend separating both girls overnight into cages that have minimal lining of white paper towels. If you can determine which girl is having issues, then we can more forward with how to proceed. You'll also want to look at how well both are eating and drinking, as well as any stool production for both girls.

When you have determined who, if either, is still producing the blood, please let me know and we can proceed to determining what should be done for the culprit.