Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

Guinea pig laying on side with occasional twitches

Customer Question

I have a guinea pig that seemed fine till today. But now all he is doing is laying on his side with occasional twitches. His name is Papas and he is a year old. I just got a new food for him to try. Could that have any cause?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me if you feed any supplements? Diet you feed?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I originally was giving him sun salad and water and he seemed fine with it. But starting yesterday i tried giving him guinea pig forage mix.
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me if he gets hay?
What is in the sun salad?
Do you use any supplements?
Do you have pellets at home to feed?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do you mean if he gets hay? The sun salad had carrots, rose hips, and apple slices. I didn't use any supplements and I don't have any pellets just this new food which I'm scared to feed him now.
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

Guinea Pigs should have fresh grass hay all they want, as well as 1/8 cup of Guinea pig pellets and a cup of fresh Veggies daily. They also require Vitamin C supplement daily beside what little is in the Pellets or Veggies. This is important. Guinea Pigs cannot produce Vitamin C in the body. Without a good diet, hay and Vitamin C supplement the are predisposed to Scurvy. This goes over the proper diet:

The Falling over on one side and the twitching is a sign of a Paraiste affecting the skin known as guinea pig mange Trixicara cavis. The seizure-like behavior is due to the intense itching sensation caused by the mites burrowing through the skin. With this being said I suggest that the Guinea pig see the Vet where they can treat for this problem. Make sure you are getting fluids and food going in to keep the Guinea pig from getting weak and have the Vet check it.