Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

I have a rescue guinea pig that I have had 6 months and she

Customer Question

I have a rescue guinea pig that I have had for about 6 months and she has bumblebefoot that I have been treating but this am she woke up with some blood from her nose, she is still eating not as much because she has always been a piggy no pun intended and a really sweet piggy, i have just started to give her vit c tabs for about 2 weeks but this is tumping me and she is a little more quiet then normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She has sneezed a few times
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The fact that Molly has sneezed a few times tells us that this bleeding from her nose could be due to an Upper Respiratory Infection that may require antibiotics. It is a good sign that she is still acting normal but an infection would cause her to be more quiet than normal. Other causes of this bleeding is other infections or a tumor and this is hard to determine because they are so small. It is good to give the vitamin C since this could also be a cause for this bleeding. If there is no improvement, your vet will have to check Molly and prescribe antibiotics to get her past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long should I wait to have her seen by a doctor, I am treating her for bumble foot as well, just soaks and should I separate her from her cage mate?

I would wait only a few days and if the sneezing continues, isolate Molly from others just to be safe. If this is an upper respiratory infection, she will require antibiotics. The Bumble Foot may be suppressing her immune system allowing this other infection.