Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

We have a new pond and we transfer all of our fish to it 2

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: We have a new pond and we transfer all of our fish to it 2 months ago. Recently they started to die. then I noticed that one of the ones that dies had a white film all over its body and also very white spots near the gill. she was lethargic for over two weeks and then she died.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the fish. What is the fish's name?
Customer: it was a koi fish.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the fish?
Customer: the other fish that have died have died really fast. after the third death I've been watching them to see if there is any difference in their behavior, but I haven't noticed anything else.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your pond. From what you have described, I suspect something with water quality. We often see this with newer ponds because they haven't had time to establish the nitrogen cycle.The first step is to test the water. Use a test kit with test tubes and chemicals you add to water samples. The ones that have paper strips you dip in the water are not accurate. After you test, let me know the numbers in parts per million (ppm) that you get for ammonia and nitrites. We'll proceed from there.If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are just beginning.I'll watch for your test results. Thank you.