Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

It's our goldfish, can't open its mouth to eat days now,

Customer Question

It's our goldfish, can't open its mouth to eat for several days now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the goldfish's name?
Customer: Corazon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Corazon?
Customer: Otherwise healthy, water tested, changed regularly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear that Corazon is having a problem. Some additional information will be useful.Is his jaw or mouth swollen?Does he try to grab the food?What exactly happens when he tries to eat?If you are asked to rate my service, please don't do that just yet since we are only beginning. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Anna, unfortunately Corazon died early this morning..
Expert:  Anna replied 5 months ago.
I am so sorry that you lost him. There are two common reasons why a goldfish would be unable to open its mouth to eat. One is infection in the jaw. That can be the result of a minor injury - too small to ven see. But it can cause accumulation of pus and swelling.The other common occurrence is getting something stuck in the mouth, such as a piece of gravel. In that case, besides having trouble eating, a fish may try to shake it's head or may swim with its head down.Either of these situations is difficult to treat. I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. You obviously cared very much for Corazon. I'm so sorry you lost him.Anna