Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have an a Gals, Yes, Giant african land snail, The tip of

Customer Question

Hi i have an a Gals
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the animal?
Customer: Giant african land snail
JA: Where does the snail seem to hurt?
Customer: The tip of his shell is turning white
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Its white
JA: Is the snail eating normally?
Customer: A lil slower than normal
JA: Is the snail having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Seems ok with that
JA: How is the snail behaving differently?
Customer: Sluggih
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the snail. What is the snail's name and age?
Customer: Fred and he is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fred?
Customer: Someone advised blood worms but they are herbvores so why would he need those
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist. I'll be happy to help you today.White on the shell can indicate several different things. If you scrape the area gently with your fingernail, and the white comes off, you may be dealing with a fungal infection. In that case it can be treated by applying a small amount of one of the anti fungal creams women use to treat yeast infections once per day until it clears up.One of the more common causes of the shell turning white is a calcium deficiency. This is probably what someone was thinking of when they advised bloodworms, but they were misinformed. You should not feed Fred any bloodworms. Instead, place a cuttlebone in his enclosure. Cuttlebones are sold in the bird departments of pet stores, and are a rich source of calcium. Most snails will eat the amount they need. Don't include the holder, though, just the cuttlebone itself. You can also feed Fred produce that is high in calcium, such as broccoli and collard greens.Sometimes when there is a small injury to the shell, the snails' body repairs it and the new shell will be white. If this is going on, the most important thing is to provide plenty of calcium. Snails need quite a bit to keep their shells healthy.If you have more questions,must let me know. I hope Fred will be fine.AnnaMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!