Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

I have an older guinea pig male that I have to clean its

Customer Question

I have an older guinea pig male that I have to clean its perianal area every 2 days & it's rather gross--is there any thing I can do to help this more? For instance anything to soften the feces because it seems very dry & caked up--for instance oil, perhaps, or what else can you suggest? Thanks very much.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

What you have described is common in older boars. The muscles start to weaken with age so making sure the boar has a high fiber diet and plenty of fluids. A lot of hay hay and plenty of exercise will help with the problem you are having. Impaction are a problem, so keeping the sack clean a little more often also helps. Lastly giving a little canned pumpkin will also add with passing of the stool. This is something that has to be stayed on top of.

Joan