PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our 13 1/2 year old husky jumped up into car. Now he can

Customer Question

Our 13 1/2 year old husky jumped up into car. Now he can barely walk and when he does, he drags his left hind leg or walks with his paw folded.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, there is no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the husky's name?
Customer: Buddy. He is being treated for arthritis(sp)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: Had recently had blood work done on all organs and it came back normal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer.

Unfortunately, there won't be a lot from home that you can offer him aside from supportive walks while holding his back end with a sling, and cage rest.

The jump itself may well have injured his back or pinched a nerve. He's showing loss of use in that leg and neurological function deficits. Your vet will likely want to take some x-rays of his back and hips to determine what has occurred and what can be done. In some cases, a medical approach can be made with oral meds and in other cases surgery may be recommended. It will all depend on the result of the diagnostics and exam.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.