Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My ferret is barely moving around, not sure if she broke her

Customer Question

My ferret is barely moving around, not sure if she broke her spine or her hip, buy her nose is extremely dry
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the ferret's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a yr n a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: She did drink a lot of water and eat a little bit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me why you think there is a spinal injury?

Is Angel dragging her back legs?

Is she pawing at her face?

Any hair loss?

Anything else that is different?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
shes not walking around, she is just laying on my daughters lap,i tryed to see is she would come to me,but she was barely moving
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also,she looks like she is loosin weight,she seems to have a lil strength in her back paws
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

Ok, Please take some Karo syrup, Pancake syrup or honey and on a q-tip and rub some on her gums. Let me know if she perks up. She seems to be showing signs of Insulinoma. If she perks up we need to feed her a high Protien meal called Duck soup diet. You can use Chicken baby food until you can get all that is needed for the recipe. This is some information on Insulinoma: http://miamiferret.org/treatment.htm I will stand by while you try the syrup. Insulinoma is casued by a tumor in the pancreas and can be serious if not addressed asap. Standing by. http://miamiferret.org/insulinoma.htm

Joan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is perking up a little bit and she feels hot and she is holding her water bottle .
if a ferret is sick can her fur have a different feeling and can they take baths more then once a month
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

If sick the fur will not be as clean and may even Feel different. I would not worry about bath right now, if this is Insulinoma, we need to deal with it by having a hands on Exam for blood work with the Exotic Vet. Please feed her some Chicken Baby food asap since giving the syrup. If Insulinoma, she can go into a seizure if we do not get her stabilized. Fed the chicken baby food asap. This goes over the Duck soup diet: http://miamiferret.org/duck_soup.htm

Please have her into the Vet asap. and if she starts going down use the syrup and then feed the chicken baby food or follow the Duck soup Diet in the link I sent.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.

How is the Ferret? did she respond to the syrup and food? Please let me know.

Joan