Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

Eye swollen closed like if a person had really bad eye

Customer Question

eye swollen closed like if a person had really bad eye infection on that same side jaw is swollen also
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: hedgehog
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the hedgehog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the hedgehog's name and age?
Customer: can't remember when we got her she was 10 weeks i think she's about 4or 5years
JA: What is the hedgehog's name?
Customer: Nessie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nessie?
Customer: no she's been eating fine she's still acting curious about her surroundings when we hold her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. From the description you have given it sounds like we may be dealing with a tooth root abscess. The roots from teeth can extend into the nasal cavity and up. If I am correct the Hedge hog will need to be seen by an Exotic Vet. They will need to take some X rays to tell exactly what is going on. I am sure they will start an Antibiotic safe for Nessie to help with the infection.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you have any idea what that would cost we don't have a lot of money right now
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

Where I live in Fla, may be looking at $150-$200 depending on what they do and the Antibiotic given. You may try to see if you could get away with the bare minimum and see if they would just give an antibiotic, which would be an office visit and less than with an Xray and treatment. Care Credit offers a Pet credit card, which make it easy to finance the Vet Visit. http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan