PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a raccoon approx. 3 mo. old, and about 3 lbs. I think

Customer Question

I have a raccoon approx. 3 mo. old, and about 3 lbs. I think she got bit by another raccoon which was sick. It had swollen joints on 3 of his legs, nd a very bad attitude. Jewels, developed a abscess on her right front leg. It involved the shoulder to the first joint on the front right. then the 2nd toe on the left foot. These area have drained after antibotics and warm moist packs. I noticed today that her left foot ,invoving her ankle and about 1/3 of her pad ,I could feel fluid in the left front paw. Please tell me what I can do to help her. or what I can suggest to my vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the raccoon?
Customer: thank you please let me know soon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

If you have not already had her sedated and these areas examined, lanced and drained, this may be needed. If they did not respond to antibiotics being given, a culture would be wise to ensure you're using the right antibiotic for the job. Many times lancing and flushing is required to get ahead of more aggressive abscesses. If this has not already been tried, that's the approach that I would talk to your vet about. It offers the best chance at successful recovery from these types of wounds, which commonly do develop into abscesses.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is she doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?