Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

How can I get my 10 day old kitten to poo. She had a very

Customer Question

How can I get my 10 day old kitten to poo. She had a very small one yesterday. Also she was born in a sandbox and abandoned. My vet gave an enema which produced sand in the poo. 2 days later another enema with no sand but a small amount of poo. Since then no poo.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: I haven't named him yet. His eyes are still closed as well.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: No he eats and sleeps and plays very well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your kitten is having this issue.

It may (or may not) surprise you to know that constipation issues are commonly seen problems in newborn kittens, especially if they're being fed milk replacers. In those situations, I recommend that more water be added to the formula (usually 25%) than the label suggests if the powered formulations or add more water to the liquid ones.

What I recommend for kittens who are having this issue would be gentle warm water enemas at home which can be very effective for loosening the firmer/harder stool in the colon. If you're not familiar with the procedure you'll take a small syringe (about 3 ml's) or possibly an eye dropper or something similar. Lubricate the end of it with K/Y or Vaseline or even cooking oil. Gently insert it about 1/4-1/2 inch into the rectum and squirt the warm water into them. It may take several applications if they are badly constipated.

This is a very effective and yet safe method of helping with this problem.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I know if he's constipated for sure or just not ready to go yet?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

That's going to be a difficult situation to know for sure. Generally, though, if he's not producing at least one or two bowel movements (or more) in a 24 hour period and/or he's straining to defecate, then he's constipated.

Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your kitten. How are things going with him? Deb