Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

I came home and my dog was limping. She has some

Customer Question

I came home and my dog was limping. She has some inflammation between her toes and "fuzzy paw". Nothing seems broken or anything. She lets me squeeze her whole leg and paw feeling each individual joint and bone. Her toe nails are a bit long so it is possible she could have snagged one. But The main irritation seems to be skin. I have been doing antiseptic soaks and topical hydrocortisone and antibiotic ointments. I'm not sure what else to do. It's been five or six days and still limping. She was doing much better at first and when she went outside to go to the bathroom she scratched at the ground as if to cover it up before I could stop her. Ever since no improvement. It's her rear paw.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have there does look like there could be a scrape sort of spot in the inside of her paw (above large pad and base of toes, the webbing) she is an 8 year old cocker spaniel
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ginger
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: She has had issues with anal gland abcrsses in the past.
He large pad on her paw was a bit swollen at first but has since gone down substantially.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

There could be a couple different things going on with Ginger's foot- one would be a bit of foreign material caught underneath the skin and causing pain and delaying healing. Otherwise, it may just be a soft tissue injury that it sore and taking a while to heal because she is having to walk on it. I'd have your vet take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully, she just needs pain meds +/- antibiotics for a week or so and perhaps a soft padded bandage to protect the foot. - Dr. C

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much. Is there anything else I can do in the mean time to help her?

You're welcome. You can try soaking the affected foot in Epson salt and warm water. Just make sure to rinse the foot off well and then carefully dry it after so she doesn't lick a bunch of salt off her foot;) - Dr. C