Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog is 8, And he's a golden doodle. He is playful acts

Customer Question

Our dog is 8
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: And he's a golden doodle. He is playful acts normal. He has diarrhea for a day or 2 then hard normal poop 4 2-4 days then diarrhea again for a day or so. Over and over the cycle goes on. Been 2 vet 3 times and can't seem 2 get it solved
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: Don't think so. Right now Cuz of holiday he's real nervous the fireworks. He's scared of thunder gunshots and such
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We haven't changed his food. The vet said to mix can food with a little dry food. Both can and dry are all natural. Not cheap food with main ingredient of by products. Natural balance Duck and potato is the can food and the dry is Blue Buffalo brand. I know stress or nervousness can be a cause now because of fireworks in our neighborhood but doesn't account for the weeks b4. I'm beginning to ? Vets judgement. He gave him antibiotics prescription last time because he thought he got in something harmful. It cured him only for a couple days. He lives inside and he goes with us everywhere (@ least 90% of the time) so basically we would be aware of him getting into scraps in the garbage, a dead critter or another dogs poop,etc. He doesn't get rawhide bones either. Only a crunchy dog biscut once in awhile as a treat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What tests has his vet done?

What treatments besides the antibiotic course were used?

Has Jack maintained his weight? Any appetite or thirst changes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He was x-rayed about 3 months ago because he was always licking his lips and burping. We wanted to make sure he hadnt swallowed anything that caused a blockage. X-ray was fine and vet said he had acid reflux. We gave him pepcid like the vet said but eventually went with prilosec which cured him. We quit the prilosec cuz thought it might be contributing to diarrhea. No problems with acid reflux after stopping it so didnt resume prilosec, but he gets probiotic twice a day. no other tests were done except the annual blood test for heartworms. weight is same. eats & drink like normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now to see chronic intermittent signs of this nature along with his having upper GI signs, we do have a few concerns for your lad. It is quite possible that there is an underlying dietary sensitivity (if he is sensitive to the protein source in his diet, which isn’t a reflection of quality) or a potential inflammatory bowel disease. As well, if this has been a more recent issue for Jack as he has gotten older then there would also be concern of an underlying GI lymphoma (which sometimes can be seen on xray but usually needs to be diagnosed with ultrasound or gut endoscopy (using a scope with a camera to actually see into the gut and take samples for analysis).

With this in mind, you would be fine to continue the treatments you are, potentially increase his dietary fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran, or there are fiber supplements his vet can provide) to physically bulk up his stools. Further to this though, we’d want to consider a trial on a hypoallergenic diet (ie Hills Z/D) and/or having them trial him on IBD treatment if they do feel it fits their clinical findings. Otherwise, we may be at a point if this isn’t getting under control, where we’d want to think about a scoping or scanning to have his vet look at the gut and determine which issue is present so that we can better target treatment to manage him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )