PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog is a rat terrier boarder chilly mix and has been

Customer Question

My dog is a rat terrier boarder chilly mix and has been sneezing a weezing she just started sneezing blood.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piper, 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

Sneezing blood can be a very concerning sign.

If the sneezing and wheezing has been going on for some time, this may be due to allergies. If the sinuses have become inflamed enough, they may have started bleeding and, thus, you're seeing blood. However, we also must worry about underlying conditions like ehrlichia, a tick borne disease. Bleeding disorders and also neoplasia in the sinus cavities. I would recommend having Piper examined, for this reason.

Failing this, it may be worth trying some antihistamines to see if this helps with the sneezing and wheezing. You can use 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours to see if this helps. If it does not, we're back to the necessity of needing to have her examined.

I hope this helps.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?