PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Pet sugar glider ate a bat that we were attempting to rehab.

Customer Question

Pet sugar glider ate a bat that we were attempting to rehab. Bat had broken wing and had been caught in large spider web. Wondering what chances are of glider contracting/spreading rabies
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bat will be able to digest that. What is the bat's name and age?
Customer: Bat was not a pet... was wild.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bat?
Customer: Not enough left of bat to test for rabies
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thank you for being so patient while waiting for a response.

The good news here is that 1) you haven't raised concerns about the bat being rabid and 2) SG's are marsupials and we have every reason to believe that marsupials don't contract rabies. This can be found as an example with possums, kangaroos, etc. Their core body temperature is lower than other mammals so their risk of rabies is also lower.

That said, there is not hard or fast rule that applies to every animal so "most likely not" is the best I can give you. If you suspected rabies to begin with, I would go ahead and contact your local health department who can advise you on what to do in regards ***** ***** local state law. Often we simply observe the animal in question for a period of 10 days to determine if any signs develop of changed behavior, increased aggression or decreased interest in the world, etc. If this SG happens to die naturally in the next few weeks, do not delay in having him tested. Save the whole body and keep it cool until you are able to do this.

I hope that nothing ill comes of this situation. And I wish you the best of luck.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.