Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My 11 year old Pomeranian dog has been diagnosed with heart

Customer Question

hi, My 11 year old Pomeranian dog has been diagnosed with heart enlargement, and he's been having sever cough attack
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: chicko
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chieko?
Customer: our main concern is the coughing part, and we were told that he also has heart murmur
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Chicko. Coughing can be due to heart issues, tracheal issues or primary lung issues. With the fact that she's got the heart murmur and the enlarged heart, there is definitely the concern that the coughing is due to fluid building in the lungs from the heart not working as well as it should. This is a very serious situation when this arises and needs to be medically treated. The best thing to do would be to get her to your vet to have them do an exam on her and to take some chest x-rays to see what that shows. At home, you could try to get a couple videos of the coughing so they can see what you're seeing. Could this be due to a tracheal collapse - weakness in the cartilage there? That is possible and not as serious, but I wouldn't want to miss the more serious situation.