Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Simon is a five year old guinea pig who just finished

Customer Question

Simon is a five year old guinea pig who just finished antibiotics for uri and is straining to poop. I got some Bene bec a probiotics powder from the pet store but the little guy finds it on veggies and won't eat the veggies. Can I dilute this in water . He is eating pellets and hay good and some greens but strains to poo
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Simon
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simon?
Customer: He was on sulfatrim for a week did well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you can absolutely dilute this in water to syringe feed Simon. As well, to help keep his feces moving along as it should, you can increase his dietary fiber either by offering more hay/roughage, offering or syringe feeding canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) or veggie baby foods. The last 2 are quite good options as they are also high in water, which can help ensure he is hydrated. Finally, if he continues to strain, you can even give him a small dose of cat hairball treatment or 0.25-0.5ml of a GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, Miralax) to just help get things moving for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks he's eating more hay tight now than veggies. I will give him some other helps thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad he is eating sensibly and hopefully with the above we can just get that wee gut moving stool along like it should.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )