Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist

My neighbors dog won't stop barking. 1 month now. She was in

Customer Question

My neighbors dog won't stop barking. 1 month now. She was in heat and bled a lot. She has no teeth. Fell out the last 6 months. She eats but is still losing weight. They can't afford a vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Not sure. She also has white gums. I just went to see her. Can't take the v
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Constantly crying. She eats okay.
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

I'm not sure what you are asking about. Are you trying to determine the dog's health issue?

Or are you trying to stop the barking?

How old is this dog?

What breed is she?

Do you know when her previous heat cycle was?

You say she is eating well even though she doesn't have teeth?

Does she have diarrhea or vomiting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She's pitbull/boxer, not vomiting, no diarhea. We need to know what this could be. Eating well, she's about 6-8 years old. She was in heat about a month ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What can be done to calm her till they can get help. Does the humane society treat animals? Do they put sick dogs to sleep?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think she's gonna die.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

What it sounds like to me is the possible start of pyometra which can be deadly. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.

I'm guessing it might be early in a case of closed pyometra. Unfortunately, imaging would likely be needed to diagnose this. Treatment for pyometra is usually an emergency spay operation. Another possibility might be diabetes. Dogs with diabetes tend to not be able to gain weight even though they are hungry all the time.

She might be vocalizing trying to let her owners know she is ill. That part would be more difficult to determine the cause of since many dogs bark excessively even when well.

Since the dog obviously needs to be seen, the following sites may be able to help.

Veterinary Bill Assistance Programs:
1. The Big Hearts Fund:
2. Cats in Crisis:
3. Diabetic Cats In Need:
4. The Dog And Cat Cancer Fund:
5. Frankie's Friends:
6. Handicapped Pets Foundation:
9. The Mosby Foundation:
10. The Onyx and Breezy Foundation:
11. Paws 4 A Cure:
12. The Pet Fund:
13. Pets-DC:
14. Shakespeare Animal Fund:

This site may have additional resources as well.

These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.

Now some vets will treat a dog and set up payment plans. Others will agree to treat a dog if the owner will sign the dog over to them. They lose their dog but the dog is able to receive treatment. Humane societies work differently in different areas as so rescues. Some will treat a dog even if there is little chance the animal will survive while others will let a vet make the decision on whether the dog has a good chance of surviving before allocating funds for the dog.

I wished I could tell you for sure what the problem is with her, but testing will be needed to determine the exact cause. Now a dap collar may help calm her a little. They are available at pet stores. Benadryl often has a sedative like effect on some dogs but in others, it can cause a hyperactive state. Benadryl is dosed at 1-2mg per pound every 8 hours. I do really have to advise she be seen so perhaps one of the vets on the fee first visit list will be able to see her quickly.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.